Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Ok, we gave the coupon out this time!

Response #4 to a challenge Johanna gave to Mothers of Preschoolers Each family was given a McDonald's gift certificate and challenged to find a way to reach out and serve their community together as a family.

Johanna, Ok, we gave the coupon out this time!

We were on our way to Disneyland, almost at the main entrance. I saw a homeless man on the sidewalk and pulled over into one of Disney's parking lots (it was currently closed). I made such an abrupt turn, that Katie asked, "mommy, what are you doing that for?" I reminded her of the coupon we had and pointed out the man on the street. We said a quick prayer for him. He was about 30 yards away from where I parked my car, and so I jumped out and called him over. I met him halfway and gave him the coupon and a ziplock bag of change I had in the car. I explained that I had a little coupon and change so he could buy something to eat. He was so surprised and repeated "Your giving this to ME?". I just wished him a good day and headed back to the car.
Katie asked what he looked like and what his name was. Oh man, I didn't even ask his name. I told her that it would've been a good idea to find out so we could pray for him by name. I told her that he was so excited about the coupon and money, that he was hungry and very dirty. I explained why he was dirty and she didn't say much.
Later that night we got home and she said, "mom, that man was dirty because he doesn't have a bathtub to get clean". She was still thinking of him. I wish she could have met him and saw him for herself, but we will continue to pray for more opportunities to serve people we don't know together!

No comments: